Edinburgh scientists believe that Dr. Livingstone may have been saved from the effects of a lion attack by an acid found in the dyes used in the tartan of his jacket. The acid may have neutralised the bacteria present after the attack in 1843 . It may be that the dyes neutralised the pasteurella multocida carried by big cats. Dr Livingstone ultimately recovered from a badly broken left arm and 11 separate puncture wounds caused by the lion’s teeth whereas his colleagues never fully recovered from their wounds.

Visit Dr. Livingstone’s home of Blantyre.

Be Sociable, Share!